The quietest places under the sun


The quietest places under the sun

There was another large congregation last weekend.   The Shropshire Society in London celebrated the 120th anniversary of its refounding with a service in my Abbey, and I’m told the Society has been in existence since the 1740s

Well, all these people came to celebrate, and did they sing nicely!  And the lovely choir sang music by my favourite composers, Smart and Stainer and there was even some Elgar music played on my lovely pipes.  I did my very best as usual, and tried soooo hard to make my voice heard while all these people were singing hymns

But my most favourite bit was when the Society’s Vice President read from Shropshire Lad

“Clunton, Clunbury, Clungunford and Clun are the quietest places under the sun” he read, and you could have heard a pin drop

This was written in 1895, around the time when Mr John (Loughborough Pearson) built the lovely extension I sit in.  Now I’ve never seen these villages, but I am told they are still the quietest places under the sun


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer madness

Wind (not a repeat!)

A book about me!