MR GARY’S FITNESS REGIME

 MR GARY’S FITNESS REGIME

 If you look at old pictures of the choir, and particularly at the pictures of my young friends the choirboys, you can see how strong they look

 Why?

 Here’s the secret

For the first 10 years of my life, Mr Percy (sic) (Pilcher) could only play the organ if choirboys were on hand - literally - for they supplied the muscle or arm power to fill my reservoirs with air

 I seem to remember it took two choirboys to pump my bellows - and a third was always on hand in case Mr Percy decided to pull out all the stops, in which case they’d have to pump even faster and harder

 So for 10 year this was part of the choirboys job - taking time away from singing hymns, canticles and anthems to keep me going

 Then in 1921 it all changed.  I became electric.  Well not extensively, just in the blowing department.  A huge monstrously large electric blower in a brick box was placed in my basement area and the hand blowing equipment disconnected, though left in place for some reason.  The hand pump was also left in my basement area as well, gathering dust

 During Mr Gary’s work he found the pumping handle and kept it safe.  He then decided it had to be found a new purpose - it looked so fine and useful (just rather heavy and dirty) that it seemed wrong just to send it to a dump.  It also looked just the right size and shape to be used as a safety rail, and that is how he has used it.  It is in pride of place, at the entrance to my working platform, and can be grabbed to help visitors climb my ladders and stay secure

 But what’s that got to do with fitness?

 Pumping is only part of the story - though for the first 10 years of my life it certainly played a part.  There are now so many ladders, and so many levels to climb to get to my lovely shiny pipes, that anyone working on me gets fantastic exercise, ascending and descending, and carrying tools and materials as needed.  There’s now no need for either Mr Gary or his lovely friend Mr Simon to belong to a gym - they can just come along here for a good workout!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer madness

Wind (not a repeat!)

Let’s talk trunks