More Secrets


More Secrets

More about my secrets  -  remember they are for me to know, and for you to find out!

I thought you’d like to see a picture of the old pumping handle found in my nethermost regions.  Do note, it’s not very clean but has lots of potential.  Maybe I could have taken more of a close up shot (it really was quite dark down there) for more of the detail, but still visible are it’s pivot points and a rubber bung, so stop it banging too hard on the reservoir

And I’d like to reveal a little about my forebears.  You probably know that I replaced an organ with over 100 years of use in the Abbey.  This smaller instrument  -  too small for the greatly increased space following Mr John’s extension in the 1880s  -  was in exactly the same place as me, and therefore had to be dismantled and removed before I could be installed.  The older organ, built by another famous Mr John (Gray) in 1806 and managed a cook’s tour of the Abbey, having been moved two or three times in its life before finally being placed here on the north side of the Chancel

Well, it is said that the case of that older organ was decorated with at least one angel playing a trumpet.  Someone in the Abbey congregation knew someone who had remembered this charming feature and provided evidence that this was indeed true.  That evidence  -  a gold-painted small wooden trumpet  -  was hidden down in my basement area for safe keeping.  It has now been recovered and nice Mr Gary has said that he will put this, pride of place on my casework. It would be even better if Mr Gary could connect an actual trumpet pipe to go with the wooden one, but I do continue to hope

And finally, Mr Gary thinks he’s found some really old pipework in an amongst my lovely diapason pipes.  More about that in due course  -  you will just have to be patient dear follower


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer madness

Wind (not a repeat!)

What a bargain!