So what has happened to my console?


So what has happened to my console?

 

But I must first tell you how sad I have been for many years

 

I am very fond of all the lovely people who have played my keyboards.  And I know that its been a long time since Mr William made those keys, and covered them in ivory.  But I do have to admit they were looking a bit grubby and a bit worn in places, despite my asking all my friends to have clean hands and not to bang the keys down too firmly.  Something did need to be done

 

Damage had also been done by people sticking things on to my wood fascia.  In 1921, a hole was cut for a switch to the new electric blower  -  well I suppose it had to go somewhere, and those choristers really were fed up with having to keep me supplied with air (it must have been such hard work).  When that had to be replaced, of course the new switch was a different size, so a hole was left!  And many years ago, one of my organist friends decided it would be a good idea to have a mirror view of all that was going on in the chancel, so installed a mirror which must have come from his motor car.  This was pretty ugly, and did need to be taken off  -  leaving more screw holes

 

Then there are the buttons which other organist friends tell me about.  But I did make my views clear.  I did not want to be flashing my wares at everyone, so I asked nice Mr Gary to restrain his friends and only add a few new buttons, and only where really necessary

 

Do you know, this is just what has happened.  A few buttons have been added  -  but they do look remarkably like the ones used by Mr William.  All the screw holes have been filled, the driving mirror removed and a very clever little sliding door added to cover the patched up holes and give access to a little TV screen (called a monitor I think) so that organists can find out about The Beat, without turning round.  Whether this TV screen will cope with the fast hands of Beats for French music remains to be seen!

 

Do you know, the console now looks just as it did in 1911, just a bit cleaner but just as polished and with new buttons that you might not realise have been added.

                                                                           Before


After





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer madness

Wind (not a repeat!)

Let’s talk trunks