Let’s talk trunks

Let’s talk trunks

 

Trunks and wind might not sound particularly exciting, but when your double risers and electric blowers are all moved around, this becomes a most important subject

 

In 1911, Mr William connected my blowing mechanism to 3 double risers and those were then connected to my windchests.  A whole series of zinc trunks made those connections

 

But with the passage of time, my trunks became rather the worse for wear.  Their bends began to leak (you can imagine straight trunks are a very good idea, but in practice bends are essential) but old newspaper stuffed in saved the day.  Joins too become a bit brittle, but drawing pin fixes have proved invaluable in keeping me going

 

After all these years, and now with my lower regions completely reshaped, my trunks too have therefore had to be given attention by Mr Gary

 

He told me that in these modern times, u-bends and black plastic pipes can be very effective.  Now I did have to remind Mr Gary that I’m not a public toilet, that I do have standards to maintain, and that æsthetically I much prefer wood tubes if possible. 

 

And Mr Gary did then get out his protractor, and pie-thankerous tables and came up with some lovely snake tubes, carrying my wind round all sorts of corners and up various levels to where it is most needed.  I just hope I’ve still got enough puff to make all those lovely new pipes sing and resonate in the vast space of my Abbey.  I’m sure, dear friends, you will tell me if my puff isn’t enough





Comments

  1. Oh hillie2412, how fickle you are! ...are my weeks of chewing over trigonometry, to bring you back to life, so soon forgotten?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer madness

Wind (not a repeat!)