Keys

Keys

 

I have lots of keys.  Each of my three keyboards has lots of keys each made of two thin strips of ivory, glued onto wood and carefully shaped around the sharp notes

 

(There is also another key, which locks those big heavy sliding doors that Mr Colin has so carefully removed for restoration.  That key is missing (I thought it might be found under my pedal notes or under the console, but no) but will be replaced)

 

So there are lots of ivory keys, and after over 100 years of my organist friends making their lovely music, many of these keys are worn and all have changed colour.  It is not a surprise that that the wear and change of colour is most pronounced in the middle of each keyboard, where most organists usually play.  Less use has been made of the keys at the top and bottom of each keyboard, although if more of them had played more of that modern French music, maybe they would all have been the same colour!

 

 Mr Gary has been wondering whether I need to have new keys.  Yes, new plastic keys would look shiny and bright, and all look exactly the same, but I would then lose something of my history.  The wear and change of colour does reflect all my years of use, and the hands and fingers of many lovely organ players.  So I do hope that the keys can be cleaned and patched if necessary, and if any keys are too far gone, then I hope Mr Gary might be able to find keys from another venerable old dame!

 

But here’s a funny story.  In 1911, Albert, a young apprentice in Mr William’s workshop in Islington decided to play a trick on his boss.  He was busy sticking ivory keys onto sticks of wood and, when a bit bored one day, thought he’d hide one of these keys and see if Mr William noticed.  Mr William didn’t.

 

But Mr Gary has now found that missing key.  Taking apart one of the actions (for the first renovation it has had since 1911), there was that missing key.  Looking pristine and ready for action

 

But of course it will now be the wrong colour.  It hasn’t discoloured with age, or with the pounding of organ players playing that modern French music.  No, it hasn’t seen daylight for over 100 years, so is gleaming white, and not usable!  Instead it will be returned to the Abbey, not hidden away but added to the collection of old pneumatic motors and connections that will be on show to make people appreciate some of my old workings

 

A key to the past maybe





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer madness

Wind (not a repeat!)

A book about me!