Dust!!


Dust!!

Guess what I have been doing for the last 60 years

Whistling?  Yes, occasionally
Sounding wonderful?  Yes, nearly always
Looking forward to being finished?  Yes, of course

But that’s not what I had in mind

Over the last 60 years I have been accumulating dust.  Piles and piles of it!  Yes, I am a truly filthy old lady!

Dust is everywhere.  My upper and rack boards are covered in it.  You can see layers of dust on all my lovely pipes.  The sides of my lovely massive reservoirs are caked in it.  It’s even spread to the ledges on the wall behind me

How does it get here?  Well my friends have told me that dust is fine, dry particles of matter found in the air, typically consisting of soil lifted up by the wind, pollen, hair etc.  That doesn’t answer my question, but as I’ve got plenty of wind (and sometimes it’s known to leak through the many cracks in my chests and trunks) maybe that’s part of the answer

But how it’s got here isn’t the important question.  What does it matter?  And what is Mr Gary going to do about it?

If you blow a single pipe, you should get a clear, bright sound.  That sound is less clear, and less bright if that pipe were to be clogged up with dust.  Now multiply that by 1500 pipes and you will begin to understand just what a difference dirty pipes make to my overall sound

And Mr Gary has promised to don his oldest work clothes and gloves, persuade someone called Henry to do his best, clean all my surfaces, and send all my lovely pipes off to the cleaners.  Then, when I’m back together again, I will sound brighter and clearer than at any time in the last 60 years.  Yes, I’ll be the cleanest, grandest old lady you could wish to meet.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer madness

Wind (not a repeat!)

A book about me!