Its spring again


Its spring again

Dear friends

What a wonderful time of the year it is, and just in case you’re wondering, it’s my 109th spring.  And there’s renewed spring in my pedals because I know that all my wingeing and complaining and moaning has clearly worked, and Mr Gary’s work has sprung (sic!) into action

What does spring mean to me?  Well, although I am here in this wonderful building, I can see the beautiful sun streaming in through Mr John’s clerestory windows, I can hear (and occasionally see!) birds singing and in previous years, I know all my friends have had an extra spring in their step as summer is definitely on its way.  This year I know it’s different, but I’m hopeful we will start to get back to normal before long

Spring is also a good time musically.  This lovely building shakes off the winter’s cold and as it’s ancient stonework warms up, so the acoustics change and I begin to sound even better in the more resonant, warmer atmosphere. And then there is music specially written for organ and other music my friends adapt for manuals and pedals, which shows everyone that spring is in the air

Now nearby I’m told there are some lovely hills and on those lovely hills sky larks can be heard again.  My organ playing friends delight in often playing music by modern French composers, and in one of those offerings by M. Messiaen (actually meant for Whitsun) there is some birdsong, allegedly sky larks.  Now if that’s what sky larks actually sound like, then I think I’ll just stay where I am and not bother to visit the hills.  Of course my favourite Sir Edward would have made a much better fist of it, and Mr Ralph too

Perhaps there should be a new rule, once the work on me is finished.  “Birdsong only permitted by order of Hillie!”       




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer madness

Wind (not a repeat!)

What a bargain!