How old am I really?


How old am I really?

Dear friends, you know that I was installed by Mr William in 1911.  The pipes for my bottom keyboard were added a year later and various other missing pipes appeared during the 1930s and 1940s.

But do I have older-still pipes?

This is one of my innermost secrets, one that I know Mr Gary hopes to unravel this year.

The Abbey had its first organ in 1806.  This was built by John Gray, who was probably the finest builder of his day.  This organ had two keyboards, a few pedal notes (pedals were still uncommon in England at that time) and 797 pipes.  The Gray organ seems initially to have been built into a gallery under the tower at the west end of the building, but then moved at least twice.  By 1883 it was in the south east corner of the Abbey which, at that time, had yet to be extended to the East.  By 1891, once the new Chancel has been built, it had been moved to my present position, and recently found photographs prove that to be the case.

Mr William has a note in his 1911 order book that “available pipes from the old organ” were to be retained, and obviously the Gray organ had to be dismantled before I was installed. 

Did Mr William use some of the old organ Gray pipes? Do any of my lovely 1911 pipes actually date back to 1806?

Mr Gary and Mr Nigel are intrigued and keen to find out.  So as my pipes are all taken out this coming Easter, they will be scrutinising everything carefully for clues.

This is for me to know and you to find out!    


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer madness

A book about me!

Wind (not a repeat!)