Another New Year


Another New Year

Its 2020

Now I’ve been counting.  This is my 109th New Year - I think that’s right, but you will forgive me if I’ve miscounted.  One get’s a little forgetful at such a grand old age!

Not for me any celebration of fireworks, parties or radio, or even any singing of a well- known Scottish folk song;  no, my celebration is knowing that This Is The Year.

In just 3 months’ time, off goes the electricity, (it was far less complicated when I was hand pumped by choristers) up goes the scaffolding, in comes My Gary and his team and the process of dismantling me and my lovely pipes begins.  They will be removing my keyboards, lifting out my reservoirs (Mr Gary had better remember they are a bit heavy) and turning this end of the north aisle into a repository.  All my smaller pipes will be taken downstairs, but I do know Mr Gary hopes the huge wooden diapason pipes, facing down the north aisle, can stay where they are.  My innermost secrets will all be unravelled.

Of course I’m a bit fearful of this step into the unknown, and a little worried that Mr Gary’s temporary organ just down below might sound too convincing (it won’t of course!  My Edwardian tones cannot be replicated by something electronic!).  But this is all so important and so essential.  No-one has cleaned my lovely pipes for over 60 years.  My pneumatics keep drying out.  My hundreds of lead tubes really do need to be replaced by wires and switches.

So 2020 is my Big Year, and I can’t wait for all this to start to happen.  By the next New Year (my 110th!) you will begin to see just what all those years ago Mr William intended. But only when all the still-missing pipes are also installed will the full far reaching extent of Mr William’s vision be revealed.

Not just yet another New Year!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer madness

Wind (not a repeat!)

A book about me!