Young talent


Young talent         

I’ve told you about the fantastic organ players coming to the Abbey  to celebrate all that I have been able to do for 108 years

These are international players!  They are used to playing some of the finest organs anywhere in the world, yet now they’ve agreed to come and play me.  I am chuffed to bits

The first of these wonderful players is a young man, at the start of his career.  He holds a scholarship with the Royal College of Organists and is going to be organ scholar at Kings College Cambridge later in 2020.  I’m sure he will follow in the footsteps of the great musicians who have been Kings’ scholars

I am really pleased he is coming.  I love to encourage young people to learn using my keys, or even just to come and see what happens when my keys, buttons and levers are pressed.  I can tell you those young people building brick models of my face were astonished to see what I can do

But organ players are now in short supply.  Churches need organists to help with the singing and to accompany choirs in the wonderful music that is such an important part of the English tradition.  I’d love to see more and more young players coming along, using me to practise and learn new skills

So Mr Paul’s recital will I hope be the first of many by young players and I hope this lovely Abbey, and my special contribution, can build a reputation as a place of learning and choral and organ music making.  It has been a place of music excellence for many centuries already, and once restored and completed I will be playing a part in that for many more years to come


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer madness

Wind (not a repeat!)

Let’s talk trunks