My name


My name

I’m told this is a time for reflection and thought, so I’ve been thinking about names

As you know, dear friends, my real name is 2412, because that is the name stamped on my timbers and pipes by Mr William all those years ago.  You can even see that number in the actual page in the actual order book, written by Mr William himself.  But I prefer you to call me “Hillie” which is much more friendly and less stuffy

But “William” and “Hill” do resonate here in this wonderful Abbey building.  “William” is of course the name of the Norman conqueror of Britain, and it was his right-hand man Roger who built this beautiful Abbey.  I’m also told that Shrewsbury is quite near the wonderful hills of Shropshire, although as you’d imagine I’ve never actually seen them

And just down the road there is the immense column and statue commemorating Shrewsbury’s distinguished soldier Lord Hill

(Did you realise I’m tuned in to history as well as music?!)

 With those connections it’s no surprise that the Abbey folk decided to ask Mr William to create an organ here.  That was such a good decision, though I say it myself

There are other French names that could have been used, and some could also resonate.  I could be named after M.Olivier who was almost a contemporary of me  -  he’d have been 111 now!;  or after M.Louis as his music is much played by my musical friends here.  But neither of those would really be appropriate for, as you know, I much prefer the harmonies and tunes of wonderful English composers.

Your friend

Hillie

PS There’s no need to change my name next year either.  I’ve been 2412 for all the 108 years I’ve been unfinished and I see no reason to change now, even though those missing pipes are coming!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer madness

Wind (not a repeat!)

A book about me!