I did my best!


I did my best!

The other evening we had a huge congregation.  The occasion was the installation of and welcome to a new vicar, Rev Dr Tom.

It was a lovely evening.  Lots of people turned up, and there was a bishop, archdeacon, High Sheriff and Deputy Lord Lieutenant and over 200 people, as well as the wonderful Abbey choir.

I’ve counted up the number of vicars that I’ve known since my installation 108 years ago.  The vicar then was Rev Blaxland and since he left in 1926 there have been another 8.

The music was wonderful  -  Stanford, Sumsion and Handel  -  as you will see, none of that modern French music Mr Peter is so keen on.  And the choir sang beautifully.

There were also 6 hymns and I have to say all the congregation really sang with great enthusiasm.  But it was quite obvious to me that, although I did my very best, I am just not big enough to help such a large congregation with their hymn singing.  And that’s despite all the extra wind that Mr Gary’s excellent work has created.  No, I really do need those missing stops, the ones that Mr William knew were needed, but have yet to be added.  As I’ve said before, there are at least another 500 pipes needed for me to really do the job I’m built for.

But I did my best didn’t I? 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer madness

Wind (not a repeat!)

A book about me!